Tuesday 31 August 2021

Last chance to submit to Gloucester City's Commission to Review Race Relations

Click to enlarge or go to link here
I've just submitted evidence to this Commission to Review Race Relations - see here - it closes tomorrow - this Commission came about following the deeply disturbing killing of George Floyd in the spring of 2020. As the Commission note it is a stark reminder that so much more needs to be done to address anti-black racism in our communities and society. 

I hugely welcome that Gloucester City Council passed a motion in July 2020 in support of ‘Black Lives Matter’ and resolved to set up a commission to review race relations within Gloucester: "The Commission has been established for an initial period of 12 months and will be a forum to reflect and gain a better understanding of experiences of racism within Gloucester, and to identify actions that can improve the lives and opportunities for those experiencing racism and the disadvantages they face because of their race and/or ethnicity".

My blog last year for Yes to Life charity looked at some of the issues that I covered in my submission: https://myunexpectedguide.blogspot.com/2020/07/yes-to-life-stands-in-solidarity-with.html

In particular I included the survey of 100 people of colour with cancer: https://www.blackwomenrisinguk.org/100-women-survey

I am aware Gloucestershire authorities are working with BAME communities and putting considerable energy into improving the situation. However the picture painted by Black Women Rising and my conversations with several members of BAME community in Gloucester, show there is considerable more work needed. I hope this Commission leads to further improvements in Gloucestershire - we so need them.




No comments:

Post a Comment

My story featured on Penny Brohn website

Well actually the post on their website is only a very small part of the story but happy to share especially as it will be used in March to ...