Friday 19 May 2023

Urinary Incontinence

When I started my radiotherapy treatment Macmillan gave me a credit card that I could wave at folk to get urgent access to a loo. I never tested it to see if it worked!  Nevertheless radiation treatment certainly impacted on me - I am fortunate to not be among those that are having a whole range of more serious issues - although I am certainly going more frequently and with more urgency. Indeed it is said that post-surgery or radiation, almost every man experiences urinary incontinence.

This issue isn't talked about enough - one in three men over 65 have a urinary incontinence problem while one in 25 aged over 40 will have some urinary leakage every year. It can be hard to find good info, it was therefore great to come across this week a 30 min video with Consultant Urological Surgeon, Ms. Tamsin Greenwell - see below. 

Ms. Greenwell explains the link between prostate cancer treatments and urinary incontinence and shares practical advice on how to manage urinary frequency and urgency. Learn what to ask your doctor and get insights into effective treatments to regain control over your life - several of them I had not heard of - but also there is a mention of how acupuncture can help some. I like this straight-talking video from Malecare - they are one of the world's leading cancer patient support and advocacy nonprofit organizations. It is worth checking out some of their other videos too.

Prostate Cancer UK also have some good advice: https://prostatecanceruk.org/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Can cycling damage the prostate?

As someone who has cycled lots in the past and heard about cycling causing increased risks of prostate cancer, it was good to read this some...