Saturday 12 December 2020

True self-care

We often come to self-care when we are exhausted or get a diagnosis - and certainly it has been that way for me at times in my life. A while back I had thought to write a blog building on what I've written before about self care - see here blog re getting the basics right - the blog I imagined would have mentioned all those things that can help some folks like cold showers, fasting, saunas, good food and so much more. It was going to be about doing some of the things we wouldn't choose to do, may not be easy to do - and how alcohol, procrastination and other stuff can get in the way.

Then I came across this quote by writer and poet, Brianna Wiest; "True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you don’t need to regularly escape from.”

And that got me thinking.....no doubt Covid-19 has helped...when holidays, visits to friends and more are not an option...I can't escape in the ways that are familiar.....this has perhaps been a gift (and a challenge) to help me think about what I need and want to do....which goals are key and which ones to drop.

Cold shower
This has been compounded some weeks ago when I faced voluntary redundancy in one of the two charities for whom I work....I've loved this job and been there over eight years. Sadly the new jobs they offered, subject to interviews, did not make my heart sing. I agonised for weeks before saying no to the new jobs. I am fortunate to have other options but all this raises great questions about how we look after ourselves and purpose.

Indeed having strong reasons to live is one of the key factors that Kelly Turners' research identified as being key in radical remissions. So how can we become the person we know we want and are meant to be? Where does self care fit with all of this? Oh my perhaps it is easier to go and watch a film!

As Brianna says: "someone who knows that salt baths and chocolate cake are ways to enjoy life – not escape from it".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can cycling damage the prostate?

As someone who has cycled lots in the past and heard about cycling causing increased risks of prostate cancer, it was good to read this some...